Circle of Voices combines creative writing, music, and theater to create community-inspired spoken-word pieces. In this workshop, students in Grades 5-8 embark on personal journeys to discover how they shape and mold their respective communities, and also explore how all of our stories come together to enrich the lives of everyone in the community. The workshop culminates in the presentation of a poetic narrative that will tell the story of the class as a whole. It meets every day for 45 minutes, spanning a period of 2-3 weeks, and is free to schools.
- What makes me unique? How can I contribute my unique gifts to enrich my community?
- What does community mean to me?
- How can I create a poem that speaks in my voice?
- How much do I know about the craft and technique of spoken word?
- How do poets use music to create a poem?
- What can I learn about spoken word from hip-hop, improv, creative writing?
- What happens to my original work when it is incorporated into a collaborative piece?
Are you interested in bringing Circle of Voices to your upper elementary or middle school? Please contact our Administrative Director, Kerry Ryan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.